The Emergence of BlackTIDES
Technology, Informatics, Data, Epidemiology, Social Science
Social media has become a platform for social activism and unification by centralizing users on a single message decorated with a pound sign— a hashtag. Most notably is the #BlackTechTwitter created by Pariss Athena which manifested a community of previously siloed Black professionals in tech. One tweet, “What does Black Twitter in Tech look like? Here, I’ll go first!” became a movement which’s very existence refutes the notion of a pipeline problem. Since its debut in 2018, hundreds of hashtags have divulged to capture the multitude of industries where Black individuals continue to be underrepresented, including #BlackInData was founded by Simone Webb and Dr. Ruth Agbakoba.
BlackTIDES was formulated by Kimberly Deas, and has recently merged with Black In Data Professional Network founded by Matthew Finney, to provide community, and to support the professional growth and technical development of Black professionals in the data space including, but not limited to, technology, informatics, data science and engineering, epidemiology, and social science. BlackTIDES will be hosting one of their first events, Black in Data week, in close collaboration with #BlackInData, between November 16th-November 21st providing Black students and professionals a space to introduce themselves and their work. If you are interested in attending please complete this form by Friday, November 13th, and register here!
- Reggie Leonard
- Letisha Smith
- Austin Little
- Alise Otilia Ramirez
- Amber Lee
- Ashley Scott
- Dr. Brandeis Marshall
Black in Data Week
Day 1 — Monday, November 16th
- All Day — Introduce yourself and your role in data with #BlackInDataRollCall!
Day 2 — Tuesday, November 17th
- All Day — Share your journey into data with #BlackInDataJourney!
- 1:30-2:00 PM EST — Data analytics careers after age 40 with Kim
- 5:00–6:00 PM EST — Survival Strategies in Data careers with Jakyll
- 6:00–8:00 PM EST — TIDES Fireside Chat with Kim, Odane, Blossom, Amber, Ruth & Teneika
Day 3 — Wednesday, November 18th
- All Day — Show off your data skills and projects with #BlackInDataSkills!
- 12:00–1:00 PM EST— Machine Learning Tutorial with Ayodele
- 2:00–3:00 PM EST — Introduction to R with Dr. Blankson
- 6:00–6:30 PM EST — Scrapping for a Data job: Natural Language Processing in Python with Sia
Day 4 — Thursday, November 19th
*Data Visualization Competition with Data Visualization Society*
- All Day — Post your favorite data viz with #BlackInDataViz!
- 12:00–12:30 PM EST — COVID-19 Health Disparities with Andrea
- 1:00–1:30 PM EST — Avoid the Blank Stare: How to Tell a Great Story with Data with Candra
- 4:00–5:00 PM EST — Data Visualization Tools for Entrepreneurs with Sekou
- 5:00–6:30 PM EST — Workshop Data Visualization in a Day with Teneika and Amanda
- 7:00–7:30 PM EST — Integrating R and Tableau for Data Visualizations with Jarrett
Day 5 — Friday, November 20th
- All Day —Share your thoughts on how we can leverage data for activism with #BlackinDataJustice!
- 12:00–1:00 PM EST — Algorithmic Fairness AMA with Matthew
- 6:00-7:00 PM EST — Bias in AI Algorithms with Dr. Marshall and Alise Otilia, moderated by Simone
Day 6 — Saturday, November 21st
- All Day — Post any job opportunities with #BlackinDataMentorship and #HireBlackInData!
- 2:00–5:00 PM EST — Career Development and Mentorship panel, followed by small group networking hosted by Matthew, Reggie, Austin & Letisha
Let’s turn the TIDES!
To learn more about BlackTIDES as an organization, events, and updates follow us on LinkedIn.